About Me

My photo
I have spent a great deal of my life battling illness. I suffered from Crohn's Disease and eventually had abdominal surgery, thwarting the Crohn's and budding cancer cells. Since my surgery in 1995 I have been relatively free from Crohns', although I had several subsequent surgeries related to my ileostomy..When my disease was in remission, I don't think my husband realized how bad it could get, but he has stood by me. I also have suffered from various autoimmune disorders and am diagnosed with Stage IV Kidney Disease. Fortunately, I am maintaining and do not need dialysis at this point. We adopted our son and later found out he had cerebral palsy, so he became my career. Dan has had two surgeries and tons of therapy and is able to walk because of it. He is a college graduate and is employed as an Information Specialist. We are very proud of his accomplishements. I am now part of the retired generation and still getting used to the idea. I do enjoy crafting, traveling and being with family and friends. I am active in my church and feel that the hardships we endure are there to build our faith. I like to live life in the "now" as we never know how much time is left.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

The End of Vacation

November 8th, Our Journey Home
We arrived at the Fort Myers airport plenty early only to be told our flight would be delayed and we won't be able to catch our connecting flight.  Please go to the customer service counter.
We did and had to have our tickets changed.  This would mean we would land in Minneapolis at 3:15 pm and arrive in Milwaukee, WI at 9pm.  (I never thought of seeing if they had a flight to Green Bay!)
Okay, so we visit with our cousin for a while, go through security, etc. and wait.  We had a smooth flight!  They provided a headset (which didn't fit our small ears) and a movie (a guy movie which I would like to watch with my husband)  We gave up on the movie and headset.
We landed in Minneapolis and WOW!  What a humongous airport!  The special needs attendant wheeled my sister and then we got on the electric cart to our gate F-13.  We ate at a nearby restaurant
so my sister wouldn't have to walk too far.  The food was good, but it was rather expensive (it is an airport and we are a captive audience).  We sat, read and chatted.  I then noticed that they changed our gate to C-3!  I saw an airport phone for assistance.  I called and the customer service person wasn't very helpful at first, but she confirmed that our gate had changed.  I asked about the electric cart taking us there.  She said we would have to walk way over to the blue area!  I said, no, my sister needs to be wheeled over there.  She said go to the counter by your gate.  There is no one at the counter!  That is why I am calling you!  Well, there is a number for special assistance, I will call them.  If you think it will help, she replied.  Special assistance came and took us to the other side of the airport! 
We were one of the first to be able to board this time, because of my sister's medical problem.  That really helped her since she didn't have to stand forever in a line boarding the plane while people put their bags in overhead bins.
We made it to Milwaukee.  My husband met us.  We looked for our luggage but it wasn't coming around on the carousel.  My sister who was standing back with our carry-ons, heard some ladies talking.  Our baggage made the earlier connecting flight, even though we didn't!
It was a cold, long drive home.  Welcome to Wisconsin!
*We do have heat in the car!



You had a interesting vacaiton...didn't start off so well, but ended up nicely! I'll be praying for Linda...thanks for letting us know.
Since I live in Mn, I don't think our airport is the big...guess I'm use to it. Too bad the staff wasn't very nice..

Laurie M said...

what a great end to a rocky start, I have never been on a plane or in an airport, lol, I know I live under a rock, lol, I keep Linda in my prayers,