About Me

My photo
I have spent a great deal of my life battling illness. I suffered from Crohn's Disease and eventually had abdominal surgery, thwarting the Crohn's and budding cancer cells. Since my surgery in 1995 I have been relatively free from Crohns', although I had several subsequent surgeries related to my ileostomy..When my disease was in remission, I don't think my husband realized how bad it could get, but he has stood by me. I also have suffered from various autoimmune disorders and am diagnosed with Stage IV Kidney Disease. Fortunately, I am maintaining and do not need dialysis at this point. We adopted our son and later found out he had cerebral palsy, so he became my career. Dan has had two surgeries and tons of therapy and is able to walk because of it. He is a college graduate and is employed as an Information Specialist. We are very proud of his accomplishements. I am now part of the retired generation and still getting used to the idea. I do enjoy crafting, traveling and being with family and friends. I am active in my church and feel that the hardships we endure are there to build our faith. I like to live life in the "now" as we never know how much time is left.

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Vacation - Day 1

Day 1 of My Vacation
Sunday, November 2nd
 I was traveling to Fort Myers, Florida with my sister, Connie.  She experienced an episode of vertigo
(not her first time).  That, combined with medications and general air sickness added to the problem.
We had to catch a connecting flight in Atlanta.  My sister would have just as soon laid down and died than get on another plane!
But....we boarded our flight.  The attendant told the other attendant that Connie was not feeling well and could she have some ginger ale.
The first class attendant could have cared less, and said "well, we need to board all the passengers and then we will be serving beverages."
My sister was sick from Atlanta to Fort Myers, retching all the way. She made good use of the air sick bags.  (I chewed my nails and made sure she always had another bag).  Toward the end of the flight they asked if they should call EMS.
I didn't want to make that decision so, they did.  Everyone in front of us could get off the aircraft.
Those behind us had to wait.  The EMS came on board from the back.  They tried to ask her questions, but she kept on vomiting.  They took her blood pressure, which was very high.  Her color was very pale and yellow.  I accompanied them as they wheeled her off the plane and put her on a gurney.  They checked her vitals again.  My cousin phoned and asked me where we were and I said with the EMS.  "Oh, that gurney is for Connie!" 

My cousin and I got directions to the hospital where the ambulance was taking my sister.  It was a very big and very busy Emergency Department.  The rooms were cold and did not have a T.V. 
My cousin and I waited.  My sister waited.  They took some tests.  Gave her something for the vertigo and nausea.  She rested.  She kept down a Ginger Ale! 
   I told her she may have been sick, but she had pretty nails!  The doctor discharged her.
We went to a restaurant for dinner since neither of us had eaten since breakfast!  We had soup and sandwiches...something safe!  Connie took most of her food home, but she was feeling better!


NanaDiana said...

OMGOSH!!! What an awful start to your vacation. Well, it can only get better from here and I am so glad that she is feeling better. xo Diana

Sandies' Patch said...

Hope your Sister and you enjoy the rest of your holiday now and that the vertigo doesn't return! xx