About Me

My photo
I have spent a great deal of my life battling illness. I suffered from Crohn's Disease and eventually had abdominal surgery, thwarting the Crohn's and budding cancer cells. Since my surgery in 1995 I have been relatively free from Crohns', although I had several subsequent surgeries related to my ileostomy..When my disease was in remission, I don't think my husband realized how bad it could get, but he has stood by me. I also have suffered from various autoimmune disorders and am diagnosed with Stage IV Kidney Disease. Fortunately, I am maintaining and do not need dialysis at this point. We adopted our son and later found out he had cerebral palsy, so he became my career. Dan has had two surgeries and tons of therapy and is able to walk because of it. He is a college graduate and is employed as an Information Specialist. We are very proud of his accomplishements. I am now part of the retired generation and still getting used to the idea. I do enjoy crafting, traveling and being with family and friends. I am active in my church and feel that the hardships we endure are there to build our faith. I like to live life in the "now" as we never know how much time is left.

Sunday, May 3, 2015

An Exciting Weekend and 74°

After finishing the antibiotic, I still felt "normal!"  I could "go" like a normal person!  I had spaghetti one night with maybe one fourth of a a normal serving of marinara sauce.  I had a caffeine free root beer on another day.  No problems!
I ended up canceling my appointment with the urogynecologist.  He would rather have me see a regular urologist, but still referred me to a different, female urologist for management of my Interstitial Cystitis, should I have any more problems.  I also need to continue my medication to prevent flare ups, and will still not go overboard on acidic foods and beverages.
On May 1st, me and three of my friends went up north, to Sayner Wisconsin for the  Sayner Spring Stampede It is a great weekend put on by stamping vendors and the Sayner Lioness' largest fundraiser.  One of our friends, Gwen, was a first timer and she was so excited and loved it!  (We all did).
We have our routine.  We stopped at The The Harvest Restaurant outside of Wittenberg for the seafood buffet.  I think we all ate too much (maybe with the exception of Linda who has to be on a low sodium diet).  We also stopped at the J&P Liquidators outside of Antigo.  You never know what you are going to find there.  I didn't spend much money there this time.  I did buy a pretty pill case for my purse.
Friday night we arrived in time to check in at the Rustic Manor Motor Lodge in Saint Germaine, dropped off our used stamps and such for the used stamp sale.  The Lioness make 15% off of the sales, and do a lot of work!
Next was the Round Robin.  We went through a series of six demonstrators who led us in making a card of their choice.  I was not crazy about most of the cards, but it was an experience.  They also provided dinner:  Rigatoni, meatballs, garlic toast and salad.  Not low acid or low salt!  We cheated a bit and tried to eat more salad.
The Stampede was in it's 18th year, so the person who was the 18th person to register for the Round Robin, was made queen of the Round Robin! 
None other, than our friend, Carolee won the honor.  she received a tiara, scepter, banner, bouquet of flowers and a gift certificate!
We went back to the hotel, visited with one another quite a bit.  It was nice getting to know one of our friends better.  Gwen was my roommate; Linda and Carolee in the other room.  Linda and I chatted till almost 11!  (Way past my bedtime!).  Gwen and Carolee went to the pool.  When Gwen came back, I was sleeping soundly with all the lights on.  I had left them on for her, and when she went to bed, she kept them on for me!  When I awoke to use the bathroom, I dimmed the lights and turned some off.
The next morning started early.  Gwen and I are both early risers and a little animated.  Apparently we were too noisy for our neighbors, Linda and Carolee.  We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and went to the convention.  I made cards, shopped, ate, made more cards, shopped some more, etc.  I made at least 13 cards!  I spent more money than what I made at the stamp sale, but I still did pretty good this year! 

 Some of my favorite cards!
The weather was glorious this year; in the 70's and much warmer than at home!  When in the area, enjoy a lunch The Sayner Pub.  Carolee and I shared a huge sandwich!  I still gained weight this weekend.  Well, it is suppose to start warming up.  Time to start walking!
On the drive home we stopped at a restaurant in Shawano.  If you get the chance, be sure to dine there.  It is called The Farm Inn on Main.   It is decorated so cute and rustic, the servings are huge, they have home made breads and rolls, and the food was delicious.  We all ordered the same thing, the Baked Cod Divan:  cod on a bed of wild rice, topped with crab meat, broccoli, and hollandaise!  Yum!  You can bet I will stop back!


Gill - That British Woman said...

glad you are feeling better, I can tell that in the way you have written this post, I can read the joy in it and how you had a super weekend. Your cards are lovely, you did a great job.

laurie said...

what a great weekend and pain free!!! Beautiful cards as well, sounds like so much fun!!

NanaDiana said...

I am so glad you are feeling better, Deb! It sounds like you had a great time and so much fun with your friends.
Your cards are so sweet- I love that little pinwheel one-but they are all lovely.

Hope you have a great week-xo Diana

Sandy said...

I posted something but POOF it's gone.