About Me

My photo
I have spent a great deal of my life battling illness. I suffered from Crohn's Disease and eventually had abdominal surgery, thwarting the Crohn's and budding cancer cells. Since my surgery in 1995 I have been relatively free from Crohns', although I had several subsequent surgeries related to my ileostomy..When my disease was in remission, I don't think my husband realized how bad it could get, but he has stood by me. I also have suffered from various autoimmune disorders and am diagnosed with Stage IV Kidney Disease. Fortunately, I am maintaining and do not need dialysis at this point. We adopted our son and later found out he had cerebral palsy, so he became my career. Dan has had two surgeries and tons of therapy and is able to walk because of it. He is a college graduate and is employed as an Information Specialist. We are very proud of his accomplishements. I am now part of the retired generation and still getting used to the idea. I do enjoy crafting, traveling and being with family and friends. I am active in my church and feel that the hardships we endure are there to build our faith. I like to live life in the "now" as we never know how much time is left.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

This Week Shall not Keep me Down!

My week started with a MASSIVE cold sore (as my Godson would say).  It was in the corner of my mouth and was spreading.  I get stuff when I am stressed and I was stressed about my upcoming periodontal appointment.
I went to the pharmacy and was dumbfounded by the many over the counter treatments for a cold sore.  I asked the pharmacist what was the most effective in the ingredients.  He said neither and I would be better off with a doctor's prescription.
So I call the clinic.  I get a recording and finally the switchboard.  I asked for a nurse and she asked me who my doctor was.  I told her and she said in a rather snippy voice that the doctor and nurse were off till tomorrow and I would have to wait till then.  Well!  So then I ask, how about the nurse for the doctor on call?  Okay, I am transferred and I get voicemail.  I leave a lengthy message.
The nurse calls me as I am driving.  I do not talk on my phone when I am driving and do not have blue tooth.  I go to Urgent Care (for a cold sore).  I have a voicemail message from the "on call" nurse.  I call her back and get voicemail.  Okay...first one to call me, gets my copay!
I saw the doctor and he thought at first it was impetigo.  I explained that I have gotten fever blisters for my whole life when I am under stress.  He prescribed me an ointment.
I go back to the pharmacist.  The copay on the prescription was higher than usual.  I said how much did my insurance cover?  He said over $700 (for a tube that is about one and a half inch long, and a half inch wide!)  How do people without insurance pay for these prescriptions?  The pharmacist said they offer other options.  Hmmmm.

The cold sore is no longer spreading and the ointment is working, and I must go to the periodontist for my gum graft.  I am NERVOUS!  My husband had this done once and told me at that time that he would never have it done again.  The difference with this periodontist, is that they fit you for a thin plastic insert to cover the roof of the mouth, and cover the hole where they get the graft from. 
I hate the needles that are supposed to numb my mouth.  I asked for nitrous oxide, aka. laughing gas.  The periodontics numbed the area well before injecting me with the needles.  It wasn't so bad.
The nitrous oxide was a bit much.  I asked her to turn it down.  I told her I just wanted it to take the edge off, and not have an out of body experience! 
The procedure didn't last that long, and wasn't that bad, but I felt so sick from the nitrous oxide!  I rest.  I breathe in Oxygen.  I feel nauseous.  They give me a small Coke and after belching a few times (excuse me!),  I felt a bit better.
We go to Costco and I get the pain prescription filled.  The numbing is wearing off.  As soon as I get them, I take one.
My husband is leaving again to work out of town.  I am in tears with the pain.  I cannot sleep.  I still feel nauseous.  I take another pain pill and finally feel some relief.
I want to eat, but can't.  I settle for cold liquids.
I had to pick my son up from work.  (I could drive by then).  We went to my sister's to watch a TV show that I forgot to record.  We then went to a little restaurant that makes the BEST chocolate malts!  I share one with my son and decide to try the cream of vegetable soup.  I ate it but all the veggies were in the bottom of the bowl!    My son finished it off for me.
I still felt nauseous at bedtime, but remembered I had something for nausea in my "personal pharmacy."  I took one without any pain pill and slept good!  PHEW!  Glad that day is behind me!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Deb, that is ridiculous...$700? I can tell you how many deal with these costs if they don't have insurance. They opt not to get the medicine. :( I really think the Big Pharma takes advantage of insurance companies and individuals and often we can find a home remedy that costs next to nothing. I hope this prescription helps you, and at that price, it better.